Book Review: Kathy Reichs




I'm a huge fan of the Bones tv series. Forensic or science heavy tv shows have always been a favourite. So when I had the chance to get my hands on the books I started devouring them. 



Deja Dead
Kathy Reichs first novel, follows Dr Temperance Brennan who works in Montreal on forensic cases, and at the University of Charlotte teaching Anthropology. For a first novel, it is well written scientifically, on the characters personal level it needs work. But if you can manage to power through this one you'll find it to be quite rewarding afterwards. I wont give too many spoilers though, but compared to the other books it's a bit more dull. Overall, a good introduction to the series.

Death du Jour
The second novel in the series. For those who want to skip the first one and read this one instead, the series is written so you can do that without missing anything at this stage. I really liked this novel. The language and pace is much more relaxed and the story line is quite good. It takes a few chapters to really get into it, but once you do it's quite hard to put it down. I did feel as though the ending was rushed, ideally it would have been spread out a bit more and had more depth. But it's still a really good book, so far my favourite of the first three.

Deadly Decisions
The third book I finished a few days ago. In this one family gets involved and you get to know Dr Temperance Brennan's nephew, Kit, much better. Though this story moved faster than the others, you can see how much more relaxed Kathy Reichs writing style has become making it much easier to read. Once again it takes several chapters before you become invested in the book and want to continue reading. 


The next book in the series is Fatal Voyage. I am keen to see how Kathy Reichs writing style develops and how she allows her characters to evolve. Personally, I'd love to see more of Dr Temperance Brennans relationships develop. *No spoilers*. Sorry.

Next up on my reading list is It's not me, it's you by Mhairi McFarlane.

What book have you read lately that you've found to be a good read? Let me know in the comments.

Cate-Marie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment